Thursday, February 2, 2012

RootsTech day 1

Really enjoyed hearing the keynote in person this year, after listening from home last year via live stream. Chatting with the person sitting next to me, learned she just started blogging this month, about researching her family in the Catskills area I grew up in! And I found another great use for my iPad: adding her blog to my Google reader on the spot.

My 1st session was "Do I Trust the Cloud?, by Josh Taylor.

My 2nd session was about genealogy-specific Android apps available today.

My 3rd session was "3 steps forward, 10 steps back", by Amy Crow Johnson, which turned out to be about a Living Person Search function of Archives.com

My 4th session was "Visualization of Genealogical Data", a developer session about desktop software Branches with a Google-earth-like view of genealogy data, allowing a user to zoom in on any part of a tree through relationships, to viewing an individual as an intermix of data, images (photo and document), and web links. Today's product is Windows-only, so sharing is only available via GEDCOM import / export, with future plans to add Mac support, then iPad / iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment